Medium & Large Parrot 101
LIFESPAN: Medium Parrots Approximately 15-25 years, Large Parrots Approximately 40 -70 years
SIZE: Up to 36” (91 cm) long
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: ADVANCED
Socialization & General Care
- Parrots are smart and easily trained. They can be taught many basic commands.
- Parrots are social and require as much interaction with their owners as possible.
- Most parrots have some speaking ability, while some have exceptional speaking ability.
- Large parrots, even if not speaking, can be very loud.
- Parrots require many foraging toys to keep them stimulated mentally. A bored parrot can exhibit many undesirable behaviors such as feather picking.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Parrots are believed to be among the most intelligent bird species
- Parrots are herbivores and should be fed a fortified pellet diet.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables should be offered daily and any uneaten food should be removed before it spoils. Acceptable choices are dark leafy greens, zucchini, carrots, squash, papaya, bananas, and melon.
- Larger parrots can be given nuts in their diet. Acceptable choices are walnuts, cashews and almonds.
- Cooked pasta can also be offered weekly.
- Fresh water should be available at all times and food and water dishes should be cleaned daily.
- Moulting is a natural process when birds lose and replace their feathers.
- A nutritious diet is needed to promote the re-growth of lost feathers.
- Protect your parrot from temperature fluctuations, drafts and frightening experiences while moulting.
Health Issues to Watch For
- Change in the consistency, frequency or color of droppings.
- Ruffled feathers for prolonged periods.
- Decreased appetite and weight loss.
- Sitting on bottom of cage for prolonged periods.
- Laboured breathing, sneezing, coughing and crusty beak or eyes.
- If you notice any of the symptoms above, seek veterinary care.
Fun Parrot Facts
- The greatest number of parrot species come from Australia, South America and Central America.
- The male Amazon and African Grey are the most accomplished users of human speech in the animal world.
- Most parrots like to travel in cars, as long as they can see outside.
❏ Water Dish
❏ Food Dish
❏ Multiple perches of different widths
❏ Mineral block